Sunday, March 9, 2014

Turtles among us

Last night I was with some friends at The Barbary, looking for a natural turtle.  The first obvious turtle had on a too-small winter hat (didn't even cover his ears) and a giant backpack.  I had just carefully, with sweaty palms, unzipped the front pocket of said backpack, and was about to drop the little tortoise, when the gentleman-turtle inched himself off his barstool and made for the back door.  We waited a little while but he disappeared, turtled off the back deck somehow, I guess. 

A second natural turtle presented herself.  I tried.  But it seems I had lost my confidence with the first hiccup, so my husband dropped it in her open purse on his way to the bathroom. 

Turtles live where water and land meet-- they live in constant states of change and flux.  Yet by being balanced and stable and slow, they remain truly at home wherever they go because they are their own little travel trailers.  Turtles remind us that we have what we need, we carry it with us. 

Here he is, with Lauren, looking for his home.  So long, little turtle, hope you got in the right pocket!

3 comments:

  1. I think the little turtle went home with the right person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turtle received! Judging from the story, I'm willing to bet I was wearing a puffy vest, and a brown hat that appears to have been stolen from Paddington Bear. Very turtley, indeed. I must admit, that hat is certainly a little shell/security blanket for me. Immediately after I found it, I showed my friend, and told her I've always thought of myself as as otter, but I could definitely feel the turtle, as well. I reckon I aim to let them both come out and play/guide me at the appropriate times. To whoever y'all are running this super cool, and genuinely sweet little operation, THANK YOU!!! You made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Seems to me that otter and turtle could make a great team. And they're both animals that live in the ecotone-- which suggests you have a very high level of adaptability. Thank you for writing! I'll get you an otter out there soon... keep your eyes peeled (or your stuff unzipped:))

    ReplyDelete