Thursday, April 10, 2014

forgotten owl

A little blind owl was found at The Dubliner-- I hardly remembered sticking him there.  But I saw it posted on facebook.  (I decided to remove the link as it reveals my true identity...)

The fellow who found the owl doesn't think he's a blind owl and plans to get it to the right blind owl soon enough.  Between you and me, I think he might be the blind owl. 

Owls are full of magic and intuition and wisdom.  They normally have very keen eyesight.  This one has no eyes at all.  Maybe he doesn't see things clearly.  Maybe he doesn't see himself clearly.  Maybe he has all those owl powers but refuses to use them.  Maybe he thinks he's a duck.

Once, when I was a teenager, I was snorkeling in the Dominican Republic.  I was high and sunburnt and inching along a little coral outcropping when I saw an eel poking his head out of a hole. It freaked me out.  I tried to swim away from it but I had somehow gotten myself surrounded by coral.  I was trapped.  Just as I was really starting to panic, I realized the water was shallow and I could just stand up.

Same as the blind owl.  Most of his obstacles are in his imagination.

Wherever it goes, I hope the little blind owl brings with it this idea:  Change the way you're looking at the problem.  Maybe the water is shallow and you can just stand up.

Goodbye, Owl!

No comments:

Post a Comment