Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Tipping is NOT a city in China

Here's what happened:  I only had a total of $12.  I mean, I have a credit card, but that leaves a trail.  So rather than use the card, I tipped a pelican.  I feel kind of bad about it.  A pelican won't buy you a sandwich or pay your rent.  I did tip $2 on the first beer-- I guess my generosity could have been better tempered.

Pelicans don't seem very aerodynamic.  That's the beauty of them.  How can such a bird float AND fly?  It doesn't seem possible.  But it is!  People with pelican totems need to remember that they are buoyant.  No matter how many times they dive down, they will always pop back up.  Life can't sink a pelican, they are made unsinkable.
 
Also, they don't store things in that long bill of theirs, they only collect and scoop with it.  If the pelican found you, you may want to think a little bit about what you're holding onto and what you're digesting.

A few days ago I watched a pelican take off from the water.  It was iffy.  Certainly not graceful.  Water represents emotions-- the one thing that can bog down the pelican.  Don't let emotions keep you from flying. 

I made that pelican for someone specific-- but it had been sitting around way too long.  It was starting to seem sad to me.  And then I got to thinking about how people wait around all their lives-- waiting for the right person to come along.  And then I thought, who am I to decide who the pelican belongs to?  It can decide for itself.  Good luck, little pelican.       

No comments:

Post a Comment